Late Lunch

So, I got a late start on making lunch today. When I finally did get around to it, I though "Hey I'll sit and watch a movie while I eat". Sounds good, right? I was watching the movie, when several minutes into it I realized I never turned the burner on. (I'll wait while you snicker.)

Now I admit I'm not much for cooking, it's just not my thing, but even I know that the burner has to be on for the water to boil. My question is, what do you do in this situation? Do you...

A) Get angry and kick the stove?
B) Belittle yourself "how could you be so stupid?"
C) Turn on the burner and go back to the movie?

Now the first two choices may seem a wee bit extreme, but I think if we are honest, there has been some situation (maybe a few) in life where we made a mountain out of a molehill.

We take what was a simple mistake or something forgotten and blow it up letting it ruin our day(s) and the day(s) of those around us.

Now the way I see it is, you have some people who just love drama. No matter what they have to make it extreme to feel important or draw attention to themselves. I am so NOT one of those people. I enjoy peace in my life too much to waste it on unnecessary drama. Life has enough crazy without inventing more that isn't even there.

There are others who may have went with options A or B because it was the last straw and they didn't even know it. They have so much going on or going wrong that it was as they say "the straw that broke the camel's back." At that point it is good to recognize that what you just did wasn't a result of a silly mistake, but the end of a long list of issues. How's that going to fix anything? It's going to show you that you need to stop and take a look at the real issues, make decisions about what needs attention first and start thinking about what to do.

I'm sorry to say, but ignoring problems doesn't make them go away. You can say "but Anita, I've been ignoring it for weeks and it's much less prevalent than it was at the beginning." Yeah, but that's not because things have gotten any better, you've just got used to carrying the extra burden.

Fix what you can fix first, and then you'll have less to deal with as you look at the larger issues.

In case you're wondering... I turned on the burner and went back to the movie. Lunch was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time Marches On!

 So first it has to be said....  19 DAYS TIL SPRING! Ok, now that I've got that outta the way I'll move on.  I'd like to say eve...